Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A thick,comfort food casserole with a savoury flavor. This is an adaptation of a ham and potato casserole recipe I liked but wanted to play around with.
- 1 lb honey-roasted ham, cut in small cubes
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (for non-dairy use 1 1/2 c. rice dream rice milk)
- dried basil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- Pan fry ham and chopped onion in olive oil until onions are lightly browned.
- While onions and ham are cooking, peel potatoes and slice paper thin.
- Butter a medium casserole dish and place sauteed ham and onion inside.
- Salt and pepper the ham and onions.
- preheat oven at 325 degrees.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan, remove from heat and blend in flour. Return to heat and add milk or rice dream rice milk. Stir over direct heat until sauce boils and thickens.
- Arrange potatoes over ham and pour milk and flour mixture over them over them.
- Sprinkle potatoes with chives and basil flakes.
- Bake at 325 degrees until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour. Cover for first 1/2 hour then remove cover.
This was fantastic, but I did "spiff" this up a bit. I added garlic and cheddar cheese to the sauce. I layered half of the potato slices on the bottom of the casserole, then some sliced carrots, then the ham/onion mixture, remaining half of the potato slices and poured the sauce over all as written. The sauce sank into the casserole very nicely. This was a great, easy meal. Thanx!