Recipe by Hello Duckie
Original recipe came from 'The Compleat Sevant-Maid 1677) adapted by Theodora Fitzgibbon, 'The Art of British Cooking" 1965.
- 1 lb medium-sliced ham
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 12 dates
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 2 ounces butter
- salt and pepper
- 12 button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped lovage
- 6 gooseberries
- 1⁄2 pint cider
For The Pastry
- 6 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 3 ounces butter
- water, to bind
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the hard-boiled egg yolks and all the other ingredients, chopped very finely, except the ham, egg whites, cider and butter.
- Cut the ham into slices about 4 inches long and fill each slice with the above mixture.
- Roll up these'olives' and place them close together in a pie-dish.
- Pour over the cider, add the chopped egg whites and dot with butter.
- To make the pastry, work the fat into the flour, add the salt and make into a thick dough with cold water.
- Keep cool until it is needed.
- Damp the edges of the pie-dish and cover with the pastry.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 40 minutes.
- Can be eaten hot or cold.