Recipe by Diana in KS
Modified from recipe 132081 for my frugal family. Super easy and fast! Makes a big pot
Top Review by iewe
This was good -- but very rich. Used 16 oz of noodles as others have suggested (as that is what I had on hand) and 2 cans of cream of mushroom (again, what I had on hand). Think this would be really easy to tweak with stuff someone had in the fridge/pantry and a great use for leftover ham. Could easily use different cream soups, and different cheeses to change up the flavor. Thanks.
- 24 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup ham, diced finely
- 2 medium onions, diced finely
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Drain and add butter, making sure to mix to coat.
- Set aside for now.
- Add oil to large skillet, heat and add onions, ham and seasonings.
- Cook until onions become translucent and start to brown slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- In a bowl add soups and milk mix well together.
- Pour into pan with onion and ham mix.
- When it becomes bubbly add cheese; stir to melt cheese and remove.
- Add to noodles, mixing well and serve.
- This is excellent with a side salad and garlic bread to lighten it up.