Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Modified from recipe 132081 for my frugal family. Super easy and fast! Makes a big pot
- 24 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup ham, diced finely
- 2 medium onions, diced finely
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Drain and add butter, making sure to mix to coat.
- Set aside for now.
- Add oil to large skillet, heat and add onions, ham and seasonings.
- Cook until onions become translucent and start to brown slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- In a bowl add soups and milk mix well together.
- Pour into pan with onion and ham mix.
- When it becomes bubbly add cheese; stir to melt cheese and remove.
- Add to noodles, mixing well and serve.
- This is excellent with a side salad and garlic bread to lighten it up.
This was good -- but very rich. Used 16 oz of noodles as others have suggested (as that is what I had on hand) and 2 cans of cream of mushroom (again, what I had on hand). Think this would be really easy to tweak with stuff someone had in the fridge/pantry and a great use for leftover ham. Could easily use different cream soups, and different cheeses to change up the flavor. Thanks.
It smelled great while cooking. It just didn't match our tastes. Thanks for contributing though!
My DH made this for dinner. It turned out pretty good. As far as i know he he followed the recipe to the letter. There were left overs i had for lunch they re heated well. He also used a 16 oz bag of noodles (spiral). Will make again.