Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Prepare this casserole the night before and just pop it in the oven for brunch!
- 10 -12 slices day-old Italian bread or 10 -12 slices French bread
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3⁄4 lb cooked Canadian bacon or 3⁄4 lb ham, cubed
- 6 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Grease a 2-quart covered casserole.
- Stack 3 bread slices; cut into long strips and then into cubes.
- Continue with remaining bread to make 6 cups of bread cubes.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add pepper and onion; sauté until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer pepper and onion to the prepared dish.
- Add bread and Canadian bacon; stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs and milk; using a fork, stir mixture until well blended.
- Pour egg mixture over bread mixture.
- Cover casserole; let stand 1 hour at room temperature or chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake casserole covered, for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Garnish with thyme and serve immediately.