Recipe by James Craig
This recipe was printed in the "Arizona Republic" newspaper. Cooking time includes 10 minutes resting time.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus butter for greasing of pan
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, cut into small cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups fine fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the ham into cubes.
- Using a food processor, chop the ham into medium coarse texture.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery, salt and pepper.
- Cook briefly until wilted, add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Cook 3 minutes, remove from heat-let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl and add the ham, bread crumbs, eggs, pistachios, sour cream, cumin, nutmeg, and parsley.
- Blend well.
- Butter a 9x5x2.5-inch loaf pan.
- Add the mixture and pack well.
- Smooth over the top and place in the oven.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand in a warm place at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot with sweet relish or chutney.