Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Raisin sauce is also very nice with this old favorite. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 lb ground ham, uncooked
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork (lean)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
For the sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ground horseradish
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- paprika, just a sprinkle
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Mix the meats together very well.
- Mix egg, milk and cracker crumbs together; add to meat mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Place mixture in a bread pan and bake at 350F for 45 to 60 minutes.
- For the sauce: Place horseradish in a small saucepan.
- Add flour, salt, paprika and butter; pour in cream and cook until thick and smooth stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, pour over egg yolk, stirring constantly and return to saucepan; cook for 30 seconds.
- Serve at once.