Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious alternative to meat loaf. My mom passed this one down to me.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground ham (shank or butt, not deli ham)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (or more)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 can tomato soup, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Spread in a shallow baking dish (11X7 works well. You can use a loaf pan, but I find it tends to burn on the bottom).
- Spread remaining 1/2 can tomato soup on top.
- Bake@ 350F for 45 minutes to an hour.
Made it forllowing directions to the "T". Never have made anything with tomato soup before, won't again. Turned out a little bland and dry. Second time I made it, reduced the pound of ground beef to 1/2 a pound., added a 1/2 pound sausage, reduced brown sugar to two tbsp, added 1 cup chopped onion, diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning along with some chives. Turned out much better. Topped it with a thick layer of Ketchup, a good brand). Even had some leavings to make a little gravy. Hope you will try it.
I thought this tasted good and smelled wonderful baking, but not my 5 year old and hubby. Daughter didn't want to eat it because it looked different(color, I guess?). Hubby still prefers traditional meatloaf. I still think it was very tasty(I'm not a picky eater!).
I used this recipe for New Year's however I make them into ham balls and they were delicious. I did omit tomato soup and used another Zaar recipe for the sauce. Everyone loved them! Thanks