Recipe by lazyme
A simple one-pot Cajun dish using leftover ham. I usually add more spices to this as we like it spicier, but this version works well with kids and those that don't like it as spicy.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions, bell peppers and garlic; saute until beginning to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes with their juices, ham, wine, thyme, basil, paprika, and cayenne pepper;.
- bring to boil.
- Gradually stir in rice; cover pot.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until rice is tender and most liquids are absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.