Recipe by Jellyqueen
This recipe is great for that leftover ham that you have after all the holidays. Makes a little change from the ham salads and ham sandwiches. Give it a try.
Top Review by dimensionally transcendental
A lovely quick and easy recipe. I'll make again but will play around with the toms and broth. It is very ingredient dependent, if that makes any sense. Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green sweet pepper (bell)
- 2 minced garlic cloves (I actually prefer a little more)
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rice
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Cook the onion, sweet pepper and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes, chicken broth, ham and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand about 5 minutes, or until rice is tender.