Recipe by mama smurf
Very tasty recipe that can be served over English muffins, toast, noodles or rice. Found in the cookbook The Church Supper Cookbook.
Top Review by Elmotoo
It didn't say how much flour. I went with the standard portions for a bechamel & added 4TB but with only 2c milk it was REALLY thick Y gloppy so I added another c milk & it was still nice & thick but pourable. The sherry lent a nice flavor to the ham. I used closer to 1.5lb ham. served it over 1lb bowtie pasta & the family was a happy crew. Thank you! Made for Aussie Swap 3/12.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb cooked ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 6 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in saucepan. Add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add flour, blending well.
- Add milk, stirring well and cooking over medium heat until thickened.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Cook ham in 2 teaspoons butter for about 10 minutes, stirring and then add chives. Cook gently 3-4 more minutes.
- Add sherry and heat through. Combine ham with cream sauce and serve.
- Serve over English muffins, rice or noodles.