Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very tasty recipe that can be served over English muffins, toast, noodles or rice. Found in the cookbook The Church Supper Cookbook.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb cooked ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 6 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in saucepan. Add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add flour, blending well.
- Add milk, stirring well and cooking over medium heat until thickened.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Cook ham in 2 teaspoons butter for about 10 minutes, stirring and then add chives. Cook gently 3-4 more minutes.
- Add sherry and heat through. Combine ham with cream sauce and serve.
- Serve over English muffins, rice or noodles.
It didn't say how much flour. I went with the standard portions for a bechamel & added 4TB but with only 2c milk it was REALLY thick Y gloppy so I added another c milk & it was still nice & thick but pourable. The sherry lent a nice flavor to the ham. I used closer to 1.5lb ham. served it over 1lb bowtie pasta & the family was a happy crew. Thank you! Made for Aussie Swap 3/12.