Recipe by Sackville
This comes from Nigella Lawson's book Nigella Bites and was posted in response to a request on the noticeboard. I've never made it, but her recipes rarely fail!
Top Review by ciao
Wow is this good! I had a smoked pork shoulder, 5 1/2 pounds. Gave it 3 hours in the pot with the cola. I can't even say how EASY this is to make. It only takes 10 minutes in the oven, how easy is that? But please cover your pan with foil! The juice does get very dark and sticky in the bottom of the pan. But the ham is juicy, tender, and delicious! My husband doesn't want ham cooked any other way now. Thanks Friedel!
- 2 kg mild-cure ham
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 (2 liter) bottle Coca-Cola
for the glaze
- 1 tablespoon black treacle or 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put ham in a pan, add onion and pour over the Coke.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer, put the lid on and cook for around 2 1/2 hours or around one hour per kilo of meat.
- Preheat oven to 240 C degrees.
- When ham is cooked, take it out of pan and let cool.
- Remove skin, leaving a thin layer of fat.
- Use a sharp knife to make large diamond shapes in the fat.
- Put a clove in each diamond and spread treacle over skin.
- Pat mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat.
- Bake in a foil-lined pan for around 10 minutes, or until crispy and bubbly.