Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is my first original recipe, but I welcome criticism! (although my boyfriend had thirds and then passed out on the couch). I knew I wanted to cook ham shanks in the crock pot, but I couldn't find any recipes that were quite what I was looking for. The ingredients I listed here will fill a 3 quart pot, but I imagine quantities are flexible.
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) ham shank (a ham hock may be acceptable, but it doesn't have as much meat)
- 3 -4 large potatoes, peeled (or not)
- 1 lb fresh green beans, rinsed with the ends cut off
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, juice extracted (NOTE ( I only use the juice from the canned beans, not the beans themselves)
- salt and pepper
- 1. Place whole ham shank in slow cooker.
- 2. Cover ham with prepared fresh green beans and potatoes.
- 3. Pour chicken broth and canned green bean juice over all ingredients.
- 4. Top with salt and pepper.
- 5. Cook on low 7-8 hours.
- 6. In the last hour of cooking, remove the bone from the ham shank. The meat should fall off pretty easily (or at least be close to it). Keep meat in slow cooker and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
I like making this too.But instead of chicken broth and liquid from can of beans I buy ham base (usually located where bouillon cubes and powders are). I check broth towards end of cooking time to see how much flavor has come out of the ham then add a couple tsps of ham base to boost ham flavor.