Prep 10 mins
Cook 34 mins
Great for a quick meal with left over ham! Lots of taste.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno jelly, at room temperature (optional)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a non stick frypan, add ham cubes and onions.
- Sauté until onions are transparent and just turning brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add red, green and jalapeño peppers, celery and jalapeño jelly, if using.
- Sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until jelly melts.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with salt and pepper, until frothy and about double in volume.
- Over high heat pour egg mixture evenly over evenly spread sautéed mixture.
- Move mixture around just a little.
- Place lid on frypan and leave on high heat until bottom is set, being careful not to burn.
- Do not remove lid.
- Place covered frypan on middle rack in oven and cook approximately 20 minutes, until well risen and golden (I have a see-through lid on my frypan).
- Remove lid and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, turn oven to broil, broil for 2 or 3 minutes until cheddar melts.
- Slide onto platter and cut into 4 pieces, serve hot with salsa if desired.
Flavors are totally outstanding; I put less Jalapeno in; but used some red pepper jelly that I had. WOW! Made into more of an omelette to keep from using the oven. Delish, Derf. Made for Derf's Cook-a-Thon.
I would give it 5 stars if I hadn't made substitutions to accomodate one of our Katrina evacuees. I more ham and onion and subed mushrooms and leftover pasta for the other veggies and left out the Jalapeno. I also mixed the cheese into it. I was gorgeous and delicious. Thank you.
This was wonderful. I'm in South Beach Diet Phase 1 and this was perfect. I used lowfat cheese on top, and only 1 jalapeno as I was serving to the kids. Used black pepper instead of crushed red. I'll be making this often! Thanks!