Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe is from "The Best of Bridge", the first cookbook in a series of six written by a group of women who loved cards and food. The first book was written in 1976.I am guessing at the servings, since it didn't say in the recipe. Perhaps someone who tries the recipe could confirm the number of servings.
- 1⁄2 lb cubed ham
- 1⁄2 lb cubed cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons green olives
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 dash ginger
- chili pepper
- For the filling: Mix ingredients and fill buns.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- For the chili sauce: These ingredients are cooked together until the mixture thickens and becomes a dark red.
- This will take pretty well the whole day at low heat.
- Stir occasionally.
- The tomatoes should be cut up.
- Use your discretion with the chili peppers.
- Use the bottle crushed chilies from the spice section.
- I keep tasting it through the day and adding more until it is as hot as I want it.
- This is a nice condiment with beef or macaroni dish.