Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A creamy and satisfying chowder. A hearty soup with onions and tender potatoes. Delivers favorite flavors of sweet-kernel corn and tender chunks of smokey ham. Finished with cheddar cheese.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup white onion, chopped (1/2 large onion)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 2 14.5 ounce cans)
- 4 small potatoes
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can white corn
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1⁄2 lb medium cheddar, grated (2 cups)
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cook bacon in a large heavy saucepan over moderate heat until crisp; remove bacon from pan and set aside.
- Add chopped onion to bacon fat in pan and cook, stirring until onion is softened. Add flour and stir to blend. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Add potato and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream, corn and ham. Add cheddar, stirring just until cheese melts (do not let boil) and season generously with pepper. Serve bowls of cheddar topped with reserved bacon and chopped green onions.
I was pleased to find this recipe since I had a huge hambone that just begged to be used for soup, but my spouse won't even contemplate split peas or beans. Wow!! It tastes fabulous. I didn't use chicken broth since I had the hambone; instead I made ham broth with the bone and added enough water to give me the right volume. I substituted light cream (6% MF) and about 3/4 cup of shredded sharp Cheddar to reduce the fat in the recipe. Amazing flavour!! I'll be making it again.
Good Stuff. The bacon adds a great flavor. I didn't have 1/2 & 1/2, I used whole milk instead. The kids loved it, hubby loved it and the leftovers were great
DELICIOUS!! Leftovers were just as wonderful as the first time we ate it. DH is very hard to please and he loved this! We will make this frequently