Recipe by echo echo
Very cheesy. Turkey ham works fine in this.
Top Review by Annacia
Very enjoyable. I made a half recipe for DH and I and there is enough left for a small lunch! I tried the cut back on the fat so I didn't use any butter but cooked the onion is a tsp of water in the micro till it was soft and transparent, used low fat cheese and skim milk. DH really enjoyed it, and thats saying a lot! The flavors work very well together. Great comfort food that is simple to make. This is something that I'll make again!
- 5 -6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 Tbsp butter in skillet and saute onion 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Blend in next 4 ingredients (flour through worcestershire); you may need to add another 1 Tbsp butter if too much has cooked away.
- Add milk gradually and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Add 1 cup cheese and stir until melted and well blended.
- Stir in ham and peas.
- Spread 2 cups rice in the bottom of a shallow baking dish, pour half the ham-peas-sauce mixture over the rice and top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Repeat Step 6.
- Sprinkle with crumbs and dot with remaining 2 Tbsp butter.
- Bake at 400F until lightly browned and bubbly, about 20 minutes.