Very cheesy. Turkey ham works fine in this.
Make and share this Ham-Cheese-Rice Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 5 -6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- Heat 3 Tbsp butter in skillet and saute onion 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Blend in next 4 ingredients (flour through worcestershire); you may need to add another 1 Tbsp butter if too much has cooked away.
- Add milk gradually and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Add 1 cup cheese and stir until melted and well blended.
- Stir in ham and peas.
- Spread 2 cups rice in the bottom of a shallow baking dish, pour half the ham-peas-sauce mixture over the rice and top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Repeat Step 6.
- Sprinkle with crumbs and dot with remaining 2 Tbsp butter.
- Bake at 400F until lightly browned and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Very enjoyable. I made a half recipe for DH and I and there is enough left for a small lunch! I tried the cut back on the fat so I didn't use any butter but cooked the onion is a tsp of water in the micro till it was soft and transparent, used low fat cheese and skim milk. DH really enjoyed it, and thats saying a lot! The flavors work very well together. Great comfort food that is simple to make. This is something that I'll make again!
A really good weeknight meal for big brother to put together while mom is away! The family said that there was just the right amount of ham in it (we used Canadian bacon, actually). Thanks for posting!
This was great!! Made for PAC and was glad I did. DH can live on white rice and cheese so he ate tons. The only thing I changed was I used canned peas bcuz that is what I had and added about 12oz ham be cause that was the package size and I was too lazy to measure it out. Was very cheesy as echo echo said; will be making often!