Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Necessity is the mother of Invention. Our DS wanted "sammiches" for his grad party buffet--which is a reasonable request. Relatives & Friends celebrated and chowed down, but still--due to my bad estimating skills & coming from a family whose motto is "better too much than not enough"--we are now confronted with the reality of "What are we going to do with all this leftover ham and cheese?" And so, from desperation was born this cuisinary creation (yes, I just made up a new word). Adjust your recipe to whatever you have on hand --leftovers being the KEY ingredient and creativity being the necessary seasoning!
Creative Bottom Stuff
- 8 hamburger buns, cubed (use the squished or dry ones)
- 1⁄2 lb deli ham, diced
- 10 -15 slices cheese (American, cheddar, Swiss)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk
- yellow mustard
- salt & pepper
- tomatoes, slices (optional)
- onion rings, diced (optional)
- black olives, sliced (optional, or green olives)
- red pepper, dices (optional, or green peppers)
- 6 -8 cheese slices
- 5 slices summer sausage, diced
- While putting away the party leftovers --
- Grease 13x9 pan with butter; spread bread/bun cubes over entire bottom of pan (use more or fewer buns if using a larger/smaller pan).
- Sprinkle ham pieces and cheese slices over bread; set aside.
- Mix eggs and milk until frothy, add several squirts of mustard, beat and then pour over the ham, cheese, bread cubes.
- Customize the toppings to the eaters' choices. (Dad likes everything, but Mom doesn't want tomatoes, and DS would rather kiss a rattlesnake than eat onions, so let's make everyone happy!).
- Add another layer of leftover cheese; sprinkle sausage dices artfully (or optionally). Olive slices can go on now, too or any other little tidbits of really tasty niblets.
- Top pan with foil; chill until morning or leave on the counter if you're a brave soul.
- Next morning - pop pan in oven, set to 350*. Bake for 20-30 minutes, remove foil, bake for another 3-5 minutes until top is bubbly and "set".
- VARIATIONS: Use your favorite cheese, try turkey instead of ham.
- Great way to use up the cheese and sausage tray that was forgotten in the fridge!
- EXTRAS: black or green olives.
- Par-cook: stuff from the veggie tray (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots).
- DELISH: add a few smidgens (or a LOT!) of the veggie dip to the egg/custard bowl -- or drop on top in cheerful dollops. Oh yum!