Recipe by Tomato Sandwich
An awesome way to use up leftover ham! I like the extra spice of the chili flakes, but they are good omitted as well. If you are using toupee ham, decrease milk to 3/4 cup. Recipe was originally made with white flour and more oil, but I think these are taste just as good- and are healthier too! For an extra bit of vitamins, try adding 1/4 cup chopped broccoli, cauliflower, or mixed veggies. I hope you like them!
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely diced smoked ham
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium bowl, combine first 8 ingredients, mix well.
- Stir in cheese and make a well in centre of bowl.
- In separate bowl, combine milk and lemon juice, let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add eggs to milk mixture and beat slightly, then add oil and ham.
- Pour wet mixture into well in dry ingredients.
- Mix until just moistened.
- Spoon into 16 greased muffin cups.
- Put muffin tray on cookie sheet and pour 2-3 cups water on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched.