Recipe by cindysue
I wanted to make something "different" and easy for dinner. I had ham in the freezer & cheddar cheese. I did not have any canned soups for casseroles so made up my own sauce. My husband, who is not a big casserole fan, loved it!
Top Review by kellychris
This was delicious!! I halved the recipe and added grated parmesean cheese AND buttered bread crumbs to the top- MAGNIFICENT! So flavorful. The whole family enjoyed this.Thanks for sharing.Made for BB tag,2011.
- 3 cups dry farfalle pasta (bow tie noodles)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half or 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup slivered almonds or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook Farfalle in boiling salted water until al dente.
- Saute celery& onion in butter until soft.
- Add flour, dry mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add broth and Half& Half or evaporated milk all at once.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Combine sauce, ham, cheese, bell pepper, and noodles and place in large greased casserole dish.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over top of casserole.
- If desired you can grate parmesan or asiago cheese over the top.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until bubbly and topping is slightly browned, approximately 20-30 minutes.