Prep 3 mins
Cook 12 mins
Part French toast, part melt ... kind of an open-faced Monte Cristo sandwich ... just add a salad for a quick & easy lunch or a light dinner! The recipe comes from Canadian Living Everyday Favourites.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices baguette, diagonal slices, i inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces shaved black forest ham
- 1⁄2 cup shaved parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese
- Whisk first 5 ingredients together in a shallow bowl; dip bread into egg mixture to soak well.
- Melt half the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat; fry half of the bread, turning once, until puffed & golden, about 5 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining butter & bread; arrange on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Divide ham over bread & top with cheese; broil until bubbly & melted, about 2 minutes.
Great recipe! I changed it a little bit, I broiled it with the cheese and put a quarter of a prociutto slice on top of bread. Delicious!