Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an excellent way to use up leftover ham, but you could also use leftover sausage. These are so good right out of the oven with a cup of hot tea and fresh fruit, but also freeze very well. Just microwave for 20-30 seconds and it's an instant hot breakfast.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (I use skim)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, fresh, diced
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 400.
- Line 12-cup muffin tin with papers, or coat with non-stick spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Combine all wet ingredients.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredient mixture until just combined. Gently fold in ham, cheese, and mushrooms until equally distributed in batter.
- Spoon mixture into muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- At this point, you can top with additional cheese, turn off oven, and let cheese melt for a few seconds before removing.
- To freeze, wait until muffins are cool and package in sandwich bags. Place muffins in a box or something else study and flat and put in freezer. Once frozen, put all muffins in large Ziploc bag (the extra layer helps prevent freezer burn). I've found that they keep in the freezer for about 2 months, but they rarely last that long in my house. Recipe doubles well for OAMC.