Meredith C-ville's Note:
This is published in the October 2004 Bon Appetit as open-faced sandwiches, but I make this as a 12-inch pizza (a big, round, open-faced sandwich?). I wasn't sure whether we would like the sweetness of the apple butter, but there is enough savory/salty flavor in the rest of the recipe that it works well (I probably used more Dijon, though, and less apple butter, than called for in the recipe). In pizza format, it is good with some sauteed onion and some very well wrung out thawed frozen spinach added. I think this is a recipe that depends a lot on the types of ingredients used; since it has the apple butter, sweeter mustards and milder cheeses would probably not be as good. The relative proportions of Dijon and apple butter (and meat and cheese) can be adjusted for personal taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ciabatta rolls, halved horizontally (or 6 slices country-style bread)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons apple butter
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 lbs black forest ham, thinly sliced (I ended up with smoked turkey, and used less than half this amount)
- 12 ounces white cheddar cheese, extra sharp, sliced (can use non-white and adjust amount to taste)
- 1 bunch chives, chopped (optional)
- 1Brush cut side of rolls with oil.
- 2Place rolls, cut side up, on baking sheet, and broil until rolls begin to brown around edges, about 2 minutes. For pizza, use crust of choice, brush with a light coating of oil, and prebake.
- 3Spread apple butter and mustard on each roll half. For pizza, spread the mustard over the whole crust and add the apple butter as small dollops (over whole crust).
- 4Top with ham, then cheese (if using onion/spinach addition, add after ham or any desired order).
- 5Broil until cheese melts and begins to brown in spots (2 minutes for sandwiches; if baking a pizza, probably 7 to 8 minutes--not under broiler--are fine depending on the directions for the dough used). It is good if some of the edges of the sliced meat get a little singed!
- 6Optional: sprinkle with chopped chives. Black pepper is a good addition at the end as well.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham, Cheddar, and Apple Butter Open-Faced Sandwiches (Or Pizza)
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.6
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.0 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 2550.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 45.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: