Recipe by Lainey6605
Nothing says comfort to me like a grilled cheese sandwich. This is a delicious variation from the classic. Recipe from Family Circle.
Top Review by KateL
Nice sandwich, we liked the honey mustard with horseradish spread very much. Following directions, many of my very thinly sliced onions burned, so they need constant attention rather than passive cooking while other preparation is done. Used bread from Recipe#435090 and ham from Recipe #470718. DH preferred a thicker cut of his favorite ham. Made for The Wild Bunch of ZWT8 for its visit to Britain.
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt, pinch
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 teaspoons horseradish
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 8 slices light whole wheat bread
- 12 slices light ham
- 4 slices gruyere cheese
- 4 cups mixed greens (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a medium-size nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Add onion, sugar and salt to skillet; cover.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lightly browned; remove from heat.
- Stir together mustard, horseradish and honey; set aside.
- Spread 4 slices of bread evenly with mustard mixture, then layer 3 slices ham over each piece of bread.
- Place about 2 T onions on top of the ham, then place 1 slice cheese on top of the onions.
- Place 4 remaining bread slices over cheese.
- Spritz both sides of sandwich with nonstick cooking spray and cook in nonstick skillet over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until cheese has melted, turning halfway through.
- Serve with mixed greens on the side, if desired.