Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nothing says comfort to me like a grilled cheese sandwich. This is a delicious variation from the classic. Recipe from Family Circle.
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt, pinch
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 teaspoons horseradish
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 8 slices light whole wheat bread
- 12 slices light ham
- 4 slices gruyere cheese
- 4 cups mixed greens (optional)
- Coat a medium-size nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Add onion, sugar and salt to skillet; cover.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lightly browned; remove from heat.
- Stir together mustard, horseradish and honey; set aside.
- Spread 4 slices of bread evenly with mustard mixture, then layer 3 slices ham over each piece of bread.
- Place about 2 T onions on top of the ham, then place 1 slice cheese on top of the onions.
- Place 4 remaining bread slices over cheese.
- Spritz both sides of sandwich with nonstick cooking spray and cook in nonstick skillet over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until cheese has melted, turning halfway through.
- Serve with mixed greens on the side, if desired.
Nice sandwich, we liked the honey mustard with horseradish spread very much. Following directions, many of my very thinly sliced onions burned, so they need constant attention rather than passive cooking while other preparation is done. Used bread from Sweet and Soft Bread and ham from Ham With Ginger Crust. DH preferred a thicker cut of his favorite ham. Made for The Wild Bunch of ZWT8 for its visit to Britain.
Come on. Tell me. Call it a hunch, but these are NOT your mama's grilled cheese sandwiches, are they? Made for ZWT7.
I, too, love caramelized onions. So this was right up my alley. The horseradish honey mustard gave this sandwich a little extra kick that was stellar! I used fresh baked Amish white bread and added a bit of extra sharp cheddar to the gruyere. Mmmmm....