Recipe by lauren
When same-ol', same-ol' sounds like a snore, launch a batch of these big-flavor ham balls. Our testers begged for seconds.
Top Review by Chef 565650 Jim
Simple with the food processor, takes little time, and tastes delicious. I made it with equal amounts of fresh pork meat and left over ham meat. Cooked in a skillet until browned, added sauce, covered with a lid, and let cook slowly for about 30 minutes until meatballs well cooked and sauce flavors had permeated meatballs. I rolled the 1 inch meatballs around in the sauce in this last 30 minutes also. I did add a little candied ginger, a few dried apricots, and candied tangerine peel to the sauce in the final 30 minutes. Definitely a make again recipe.
- 2 slices bread
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces ground cooked ham
- 12 ounces ground pork or 12 ounces ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn on oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking dish with shortening. Save until Step 4.
- Tear the bread into pieces and put in blender container. Cover the blender; blend on high speed until crumbs form (you should have about 1 1/2 cups). On cutting board use a sharp knife to cut onion into very small pieces (you should have about 1/2 cup).
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Beat with a fork or whisk until yolks and whites are mixed. Add bread crumbs, onion, milk, 1 teaspoon of the mustard, and pepper. Add ground ham and ground pork. Mix well with wooden spoon.
- Place a piece of waxed paper on the counter or table. Put the meat mixture on waxed paper. Use your hands to divide the mixture into 12 portions. Shape each portion into a ball. Place the meatballs in the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl stir together brown sugar, catsup, vinegar, and the remaining 1 teaspoon mustard. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over meatballs.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven. Bake about 35 minutes or until internal temperature is 160 degrees F. Turn off oven. Use hot pads to remove baking dish from oven. Use a large spoon to serve meatballs. Stir sauce in dish. Spoon sauce over meatballs to serve.
- Serve with corn on the cob, dinner rolls, and milk.