Recipe by HeliWif
Not your usual red tomato sauce calzone. This recipe came from my mother who had clipped it out of a magazine eons ago. This has been a family favorite since I can remember! With simple alterations to recipe, I'm sure you can add any of your favorite ingredients!
Top Review by Benthe (Danish)
Made for Freezer Tag 2008, Ham Calzone, â€œRecipe #52554â€�, Since I live in Denmark, frozen dough is not an option, Danes pride themselves on making things from scratch, so I made my usual Calzone dough, from â€œRecipe #296442â€�. Followed the filling recipe exactly, and what a wonderful filling. First batch I filled with the ham, second batch filled with Italian sausage, mushrooms, and black olives. I had made a double batch, thinking there would be plenty to freeze. Think again. Just shows how good it was. I froze them wrapped individually in plastic wrap and placed them in a plastic bag. I also put about 1/3 cup of pasta sauce in sandwich sized ziploc bags and put them in with the calzones. I tried reheating a couple of ways--the best was to wrap it in a paper towel and put it in the microwave on defrost for 2-3 minutes and then on high for another 2-3 minutes. You do loose the fresh bread / crust, but the filling is still wonderful. Thank you for posting.
- 2 2⁄3 cups ricotta cheese
- 10 ounces boneless ham, chopped
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less for taste)
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed and risen
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Stir ricotta cheese, ham, mozzarella cheese, and pepper until well blended.
- Take each loaf of bread and either tear or cut into five pieces.
- Flatten each piece of bread into a 5" circle.
- (This part is tricky and with practice, it gets easier. I usually just use my hands to stretch the dough into a circle).
- Place about a 1/4-1/2 C filling in center of bread and fold to one side.
- Seal edges together by squeezing.
- Place calzones on cookie sheets and brush with vegetable oil.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.