After pondering how to use up an extra head of cabbage we had, opted to make this tasty soup! Toast some crusty bread slices to go with it. My husband prefers simple flavors, so this is not "spiced up" with herbs, but I have made variations in the past with bay leaf, parsley, thyme, etc., whatever my mood was at the time! Hope you enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, finely diced
- 4 carrots, medium, peeled and finely diced
- 1 onion, large, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 potatoes, golden, medium, peeled and finely diced
- 3 lbs boneless ham, cooked, cubed
- 1 head cabbage, medium, shredded and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat olive oil in large stock pot, over medium-high heat. Add garlic, celery, carrots and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Add potatoes to pot, with 1 can chicken broth. Stir. Cover pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3Add all of the remaining broth, and water, and bring back to a low simmer.
- 4Add cabbage and ham, cover and cook for approximately 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Ladle into servings bowls, and serve with some warmed bread (or toast). (Warning: this is very filling!) Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham & Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.1
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 97.5 mg
- Sodium 2784.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 33.1 g