This is really good and can be made ahead and popped into the oven half an hour before eating! You can also change the type of creamed soups used to your liking.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 3 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 (10 ounce) can corn
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (I prefer extra-aged)
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (use breadcrumbs if you don't have parm on hand)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook onions in oil over a medium-low heat until soft.
- In a large bowl mix the milk, soup, seasonings and cheddar cheese together until combined. Gently stir in the cooked rice, ham, broccoli, corn and onions.
- Dump broccoli mixture into a large casserole dish.
- In a small bowl combine the melted margarine with the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese using a fork until it becomes an even consistency.
- Spread breadcrumb mixture over the top of the casserole and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Excellent! Exatly what I was looking for! My husband liked it too. Easier to male than I anticipated.
This is exactly what I was looking for to encorporate my left over ham. I did add an extra 1/2 cup of milk. I also added more seasoning after reading some of the reviews. I didn't steam the broccoli, instead I added it raw and it cooked in the oven. It still had a pretty green color. Great flavor, very satisfying, and plenty for left overs.
This was very, very good! My new favorite dish!