Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy supper dish that is great for using up leftover ham.
- 4 cups cut up broccoli (or you can use cauliflower)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces American cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook broccoli until tender, drain.
- Preheat oven to 350F Grease 2 qt baking dish In a medium saucepan melt butter Stir in flour to make a roux.
- Whisk in milk Cook and stir until mixture thickens.
- Lower heat slightly.
- Stir in cheese and sour cream, until cheese is melted.
- Mix ham and cooked vegetables together and spread into baking dish Pour sauce over this Combine bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
This was quick and easy. Used cheddar instead of American cheese and served it with egg noodles. My kids gave it 5 stars. Next time I'll add mushrooms since I didn't have any tonight. Thanks!
Chose this recipe to use up leftover ham because there were no noodles or potatoes in it. DH is watching his carb intake for the new year. Didn't have any American cheese, so I used gruyere. It made a tasty, thick sauce, but I thinned it a little too much. Used fresh mushrooms that I sauteed first. Didn't have quite 4 cups of broccoli, so I made up the difference with cauliflower. DH said he'd like to have this casserole again. Thanks!
Made this with my niece, it was an easy recipe to teach her how to cook. We found this a bit bland, next time we will add onion and garlic to the roux and use a sharp cheddar. Thank you for a nice casserole dish.