Recipe by andypandy
Dutch , german recipe...If I have left over ham meat, I will also add this when I add the cabbage...
Top Review by MnBiker
I have made this soup many times now and it has become one of my very favorites. The only thing I do different is add celery, green beans, fresh or frozen, cut. and fresh sliced mushrooms.(love my veggies lol) My whole family just loves it too. I want to thank you for sharing this recipe and i tell everyone I know how great it is. And pass it along to them. And I'm glad I could be the first to post a photo. Would have givien it 10 stars if i could........
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large grated carrot, or small dice
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- 2838.0 ml chicken stock (or water)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into 3/4 inch
- 709.77 ml chopped cabbage (1 small head)
- 793.78 g canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 14.79 ml fresh marjoram or 14.79 ml oregano (1 tsp. dried)
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
- 2.46 ml hot pepper sauce (tabasco)
- 236.59 ml chopped fresh Italian parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2.46 ml sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and add onion, carrot, and bell pepper.
- Saute until soft and beginning to colour.
- Add ham bone, peppercorns, bay leaf and stock or water.
- Cover bring to a boil.
- Simmer one hour.
- Skim off foam.
- Add potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, partially cover.
- Cook on simmer for one hour.
- Add herbs and sauce and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley last, and serve immediately.