Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is what I did with my leftover ham bone. We love soup, so I made up this tasty one.
- 1 ham bone, with some meat on
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 cups carrots
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 2 (16 ounce) cans butter beans
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 2 small rutabagas
- 2 tablespoons chicken base or 2 tablespoons bouillon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Put the ham bone in water to cover, bring to boiling, then reduce the heat to low and simmer 1 hour with, chopped onions, sliced carrots, and diced rutabaga.
- Add the tomatoes, barley, beans, and cabbage.
- Add the bouillon, pepper and sugar.
- Cook until the meat falls off the bone.
- Remove the ham bone cut the ham in little pieces and put back in the soup. Enjoy!
This is such a delicious soup! And it got better each day. I did not add any beans but did add some parsnips I had to use up. Then I omitted the sugar. Delicious!