Recipe by tcourto
An old favorite to warm your innards on a cold day. Serve with fried potatoes and corn bread. Mumm Good! <><
- 1 lb dried great northern bean
- 10 cups water
- 1⁄2-1 lb cubed cooked ham
- 1⁄4 cup instant onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort beans for debris and wash.
- Put beans in a large pot and add water.
- Bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and cover. Let set for one hour.
- Add to the pot the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer at least one hour, or until beans are soft.