2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This is the method I use for all my bean-cooking needs (when I don't break out my trusty pressure cooker). This amount of liquid makes a very stiff batch of beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- 2Heat a large, heavy, oven-safe pot (like a dutch oven) with a tight fitting lid, over medium heat.
- 3Cook the bacon pieces until they are starting to get crispy and some fat is rendered.
- 4Add the onion, and cook with a pinch of salt until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- 6Add the beans, water, and bay leaves. Raise the heat and bring to a boil.
- 7Put the lid on the pot, and transfer it to the oven.
- 8Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until the beans are soft.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham & Beans
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.7
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 477.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: