Recipe by Bob Marshall
Traditional recipe from the Homestead Association Ham & Bean Supper on Prudence Island.
- 10 lbs potatoes, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
- 1⁄2 bunch celery
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 1 pint mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 2⁄3 tablespoons salt
- 1 2⁄3 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes in rapidly boiling water until "al dente" (about six minutes). Then drain & cool in an ice water bath.
- When potatoes are slightly warmer than room temperature, place in a large bowl with all the remaining ingredients and gently fold together until thoroughly mixed.
- Place in a container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.