Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Wow this soup is such comfort food for me. Especially served with cornbread made from the $0.39 blue box mix. This was always my favorite thing about the Honey Baked Ham my parents did for Christmas and Easter every year (although ham and eggs is a close second).
- Put the beans in a big pot, cover with lots of cold water, and soak over night.
- The next day, pour the water off, and cover the beans with fresh cold water.
- Add the dried onion, garlic powder, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Back the heat off and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Add the ham bone to the pot, and simmer for another 1 to 2 hours.
- Add the can of tomatoes including their juice, and the ham pieces. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- At this point you may want to mash the beans with a potato masher if it needs to be thickened some.