Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serve with a Caesar salad and crisp breadsticks for a terrific, quick meal. Taken from the "Great Tasting Money Saving Meals" cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 12 ounces ham steaks, smoked (fully cooked)
- Heat oil in large deep skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion and garlic, cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add both cans of beans, bell pepper, brown sugar, catsup, vinegar and mustard; mix well.
- Trim fat from ham, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add ham to bean mixture; simmer over medium heat 5 minutes or until sauce thickens and mixture is heated through; stirrin occasionally.
Excellent way to use up the Christmas Ham. We ate it up. I used a spicy ketchup to add a bit of a zing, though and Champagne Vinegar since I didn't have the cider vinegar. It was EXCELLENT AND EASY.
This was tasty but seemed to be more of a side dish or a topper... wished I'd made some rice to go with it.
Delicious! A new family favorite!