Prep 7 mins
Cook 30 mins
Picked up an old banana pamphlet, circa 1956, (very good year btw) at a garage sale. This was a recipe in it that I found interesting. I fixed this for breakfast with scrambled eggs and american fries. Was a really neat and different treat.
- 4 slices boiled ham, sandwich thickness
- prepared mustard
- 4 firm bananas (yellow or slightly green tipped)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp American cheese
- For sauce, melt butter in saucepan, add flour and stir until smooth.
- Stir in milk slowly.
- Add cheese and cook, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat but keep warm.
- Spread each ham slice lightly with mustard.
- Peel each banana.
- Wrap a slice of ham around each banana, mustard side to the banana.
- Bruch tips of bananas with melted butter.
- Place rolls in a greased shallow baking dish.
- Pour prepared cheese sauce over all.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bananas are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Serve hot with the cheese sauce from the dish.