Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This comes from a 1960's book, sponsored by the brewing industry and entitled "Parties with Personality: The Party Booklet In The Canadian Way".
- 4 -5 lbs ham
- 1 cup molasses or 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 cup ale
- 18 -24 whole cloves
- 1 large onion, cut in four
- 1 carrot, cut in pieces
- 1 stalk celery, with leaves,chopped
- Use a sharp knife to remove the skin from the ham.
- Score the fat diagonally and place a clove in each diamond.
- Set the ham in the middle of a sheet of heavy-duty aluminium foil.
- Place in a shallow dripping pan.
- Mix the molasses or brown sugar, dry mustard, pepper and the ale.
- Pour over the ham.
- Scatter the veggies around the ham and bring the foil to the top.
- Fold lightly and close the ends of the foil, sealing the ham inside.
- Bake in a 400 F oven for 16-18 minutes per pound.