Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great way for me to get my daughter to eat a vegetable! Simple and fast this makes an elegant looking meal. I serve this on toast for lunch, or by itself with garlic bread is great as well. You can also make this with Grilled Ham Steaks, they are just not rolled up! Hope you like it as much as we do! From Company's Coming Cookbook.
- 12 slices of square cooked deli ham
- 4 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 36 fresh asparagus spears
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated medium cheddar
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Steam or boil asparagus until tender-crisp.
- Spread each side of ham with mustard.
- Lay 3 asparagus spears on each slice, alternating tips for appearance and ease of rolling.
- Roll these up and place seam side down in casserole dish.
- Melt butter in med size saucepan.
- Stir in flour slowly, then add milk.
- Stir and cook until boiling.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheese until melted, add green onion slices.
- Stir and pour over meat rolls.
- Cover and bake in 350 F oven 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
I used this recipe as a start for my own breakfast creation. I wrapped the asparagus in ham and provolone. I served on sourdough toast with poached eggs, hollaindese sauce and capers.
Yummy, ~Leslie~. I fixed per instructions, served over toast for a lovely looking and tasty lunch. My friends all wanted the recipe! Thnx so much for sharing this recipe. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
This is a very good way to "disguise" veggies so you don't even know you are eating them. If you happen to like asparagus you should cut the sauce in half, the ham in half and the cooking time in half. Or better yet, steam or grill the asparagus until crisp-tender and just pour the sauce on top to serve.