Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from one of the tear off pads at a Penzeys store a couple of years ago. I use an Italian cheese blend instead of swiss. I also use turkey ham. It takes a little time to assemble but is well worth it.
- 14 manicotti
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon French tarragon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Cook manicotti shells in boiling, salted water until just tender, about 6.
- to 7 minutes. You do not want to overcook them, or they will be hard to.
- fill. Slightly undercooked is fine. Drain, rinse in cold water to stop the.
- cooking process and set aside.
- 3. Meanwhile, add 3 tablespoons butter to a medium sized frying pan. When melted, add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- 4. Cut the asparagus into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces depending on the size and.
- thickness of the asparagus. Remove the woody bottom of the asparagus, about an inch. If the asparagus is really thick, cut it into smaller pieces so it.
- will cook faster. Add the asparagus to the pan and cook until tender,.
- approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the asparagus mix.
- to a roomy bowl, add the ham and set aside to cool a bit. Add the 1/4 cup.
- Parmesan cheese. In the same frying pan, melt the 6 tablespoons of butter.
- Stir in the flour. Add the milk and cook over medium high heat, whisking.
- constantly. Bring the white sauce to a boil and boil for about 1 minute or.
- until the sauce starts to thicken. Add the white pepper, tarragon and Swiss.
- cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted. Remove from heat. You will have.
- approximately 4 cups of cheese sauce.
- 5. Add 1 cup of the cheese sauce to the ham mixture. Divide the ham mixture evenly between the manicotti shells. These can be filled with a teaspoon, or your hands-whatever works best for you. Place in a greased 9- x 13-inch glass baking dish. Pour the remaining cheese sauce over the filled.
- manicotti. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.