Recipe by Felix4067
I have no idea where this came from, but I'm pretty sure I tweaked it from some cookbook or another. This is not only easy, it's incredibly tasty. Not too heavy, and doesn't take long in the oven so it's not bad for a summertime casserole.
Top Review by One Big Fuzzy
This was really good. I made it twice now, the second time I was in a pinch and subsituted turkey ham and canned asparagus and it was still great. I used a little less of the dried thyme the second time around too. But all in all, super fast and very tasty! Thanks!!
- 3 3⁄4 cups broad egg noodles, uncooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups asparagus, chopped into 1-inch lengths
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta in boiling water seven minutes.
- Add asparagus; cook an additional 2-3 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large frying pan and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add onion to butter and saute 4-5 minutes, just until softened.
- Combine flour, thyme, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Add milk and chicken broth; combine well with a whisk.
- Add milk mixture to frying pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Remove sauce from heat; stir in lemon juice.
- Combine all ingredients except parmesan and bread crumbs in a large casserole dish.
- Combine parmesan and bread crumbs, and sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake at 450F for approximately 10 minutes, until casserole is bubbly and the bread crumbs are golden brown.