Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of my cold-winter-day-stuck-in-the-house recipes. You can leave out the ham and just have Veggie Chowder. It's pretty good that way too.
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup whole kernel corn, frozen
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced ham
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup flat beer
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Place the stock in a large soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and tomatoes.
- Bring back up to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 15 minutes.
- Add corn, peas, and ham and continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir until smooth. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the flour starts to turn color.
- Whisk in the half-and-half and beer. Continue cooking and stirring until the sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Remove from heat and keep in a warm place until vegetables are done.
- Reduce heat under vegetables to low and add cream sauce. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Add grated cheese a little at a time, stirring to melt cheese completely after each addition.
- Stir in the mustard and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until heated through, being careful not to let it boil.
- Serve immediately.