Recipe by Dreamgoddess
From Southern Living April 2007. I'm saving this recipe until I have fresh tomatoes from the garden. Serve with a salad for a complete meal that comes together quickly. Notes from SL, do not use deli ham due to the moisture content. You can also use leftover ham in this recipe.
- 8 ounces cooked ham, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 9 inches unbaked pie shells, frozen
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute the ham and onion over medium heat until the ham is brown and all the liquid evaporates.
- Brush the bottom of the pie shell with mustard.
- Sprinkle 1/2 c mozzarella over the mustard.
- Put the ham and onions evenly on top of the cheese.
- Place a single layer of tomatoes on top of the ham.
- Combine the egg and half-and-half; beat with a fork until blended.
- Pour over the tomatoes.
- Evenly sprinkle the basil, pepper and remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until lightly brown and set.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.
- Garnish slices with basil sprigs and sliced tomatoes if desired.