Recipe by startnover
This is such a great recipe. Kind of like a sandwich stromboli. We've made it to take on trips and picnics when we didn't want to haul a lot of stuff with us. It works well sliced on a platter for a buffet too.
Top Review by Erindipity
Made for freezer tag March 2008: Very good recipe. Easy to make and tasty. I did find though a pound of ham wasn't really enough and a lb of cheese was too much. I was short on the ham and had a bunch of cheese left over. If I make again I will use about 1.5 lbs of ham and .5-.75 lbs of cheese. I also added chopped pickles to one. To freeze: Complete recipe. Allow to cool. Slice into serving size pieces and place in zip-top bag. Freeze. To serve: Can be served thawed or from frozen. To serve cold, allow to thaw in fridge or lunch box. To serve warm, from frozen or thawed wrap loosely in a paper towel. Microwave on 50% 1-2 minutes or until warm.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1⁄4 cups white flour
- 1 lb black forest ham or 1 lb honey-roasted ham, thinly sliced
- 1 lb sliced swiss cheese
- coarse grain mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- For bread dough:.
- Scald milk; stir in sugar, salt margarine, and molasses. Cool till lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in water, stir into lukewarm mixture, 2 c wheat flour, and 2 c white flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl and turn over to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for one hour. Punch down and knead for 2 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts.
- Roll each piece out into a large rectangle and place each on separate cookie sheets.
- Place 1/2 of ham and cheese down the center of each rectangle, leaving a one inch space on each side. Spread mustard on top of cheese.
- Make two inch long cuts - 1 inch apart all the way down both sides of rectangle.
- Start at one end of rectangle fold dough flaps alternating from side to side over top of filling, make sure to tuck in ends under folded dough.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until top of bread is brown.
- Brush with margarine and serve hot or cold with extra mustard.