Recipe by Derf
A wonderful taste. Great lunch with a green salad or go all out and add a bowl of soup for supper.
Top Review by jerri822
Wonderful sandwiches Dorothy. I made these for a late weekend lunch. Very filling and hearty. The mushroom sauteed sauce was so delicious and really added an interesting touch to the ham and cheese sandwich. Thanks for sharing this.
- 3 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (canned if you must)
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 4 large sandwich buns, halved (we use sourdough)
- 8 slices ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese (sharp cheddar is good too)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in small saucepan
- Saute mushrooms and onions until tender and mushroom liquid has evaporated.
- Whisk in flour
- Gradually whisk in milk
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Put together; on bottom half of each bun layer: 1 slice of ham, 1/2 slice of cheese, 1/4 of the mushroom sauce, 1/2 slice of cheese, 1 slice of ham
- Replace top of bun
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.