Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful taste. Great lunch with a green salad or go all out and add a bowl of soup for supper.
Make and share this Ham and Swiss in a Bun recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in small saucepan
- Saute mushrooms and onions until tender and mushroom liquid has evaporated.
- Whisk in flour
- Gradually whisk in milk
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Put together; on bottom half of each bun layer: 1 slice of ham, 1/2 slice of cheese, 1/4 of the mushroom sauce, 1/2 slice of cheese, 1 slice of ham
- Replace top of bun
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Wonderful sandwiches Dorothy. I made these for a late weekend lunch. Very filling and hearty. The mushroom sauteed sauce was so delicious and really added an interesting touch to the ham and cheese sandwich. Thanks for sharing this.
Dorothy, your 'Ham And Swiss In A Bun' was so yummy!! My husband and I had it for dinner actually!! We had it after having Mirjam's Carrot Soup With Ginger And Lemon! I used Gruyere Cheese instead of Swiss Cheese (so just for tonight your recipe turned into 'Ham And Gruyere In A Bun'!!) -and it was really, really nice!! The soup and this was ample for a nice light dinner!
I didn't feel like cooking a big meal tonight, so I tried these sandwiches. I couldn't get the kids to try the mushroom sauce (they just had plain ham and cheese sandwiches), so that left lots of sauce. Since there was so much sauce left, I loaded up my sandwich with it (and I mean ALOT of sauce on the sandwich). This had to be the messiest, drippiest, most absolutely delicious sandwich that I've ever had! The sauce gave such a wonderful taste to plain old ham and cheese. I'll definitely be making these again soon.