1/3 Photos of Ham and Swiss Dijon Braid
1 hr 5 mins
This is incredibly yummy!!! It's a dijon flavored bread braided over layers of ham, swiss and dill pickle. It's a great party bread-beautiful and different.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard (I like Grey Poupon made with white wine)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli ham
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese (8 oz)
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickle
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1Combine 3 cups flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- 2In a small saucepan heat water, Dijon mustard, and butter to 120-130 degrees.
- 3Stir yeast into liquid.
- 4Let set 5-10 minutes until yeast is foamy.
- 5Add liquid to dry ingredients.
- 6Stir in remaining 1 cup flour to form a stiff yet pliable dough.
- 7Knead 6-8 minutes (I use my kitchenaid dough hook for about 4 minutes).
- 8Roll into a 12x14 inch rectangle on a greased baking sheet.
- 9Layer 1/2 lb of ham over the dough.
- 10Top with the cheese.
- 11Add the pickle.
- 12Arrange the remaining 1/2 lb of ham on top.
- 13Starting on a long side, cut 1 inch wide strips about 3 inches long toward the center (A kitchen shears or sharp knife works well).
- 14Repeat on the other long side.
- 15Starting at one end, fold strips at an angle across filling, alternating sides, tucking ends under next strip.
- 16Pinch ends to seal.
- 17Cover with a cloth and let rise for 15-20 minutes.
- 18Brush with the egg.
- 19Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- 20Serve warm with Dijon mustard.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Swiss Dijon Braid
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.1
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 70.4 mg
- Sodium 913.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 20.4 g