Recipe by Kaarin
This is incredibly yummy!!! It's a dijon flavored bread braided over layers of ham, swiss and dill pickle. It's a great party bread-beautiful and different.
- 4 cups flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard (I like Grey Poupon made with white wine)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli ham
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese (8 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dill pickle
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 3 cups flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan heat water, Dijon mustard, and butter to 120-130 degrees.
- Stir yeast into liquid.
- Let set 5-10 minutes until yeast is foamy.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients.
- Stir in remaining 1 cup flour to form a stiff yet pliable dough.
- Knead 6-8 minutes (I use my kitchenaid dough hook for about 4 minutes).
- Roll into a 12x14 inch rectangle on a greased baking sheet.
- Layer 1/2 lb of ham over the dough.
- Top with the cheese.
- Add the pickle.
- Arrange the remaining 1/2 lb of ham on top.
- Starting on a long side, cut 1 inch wide strips about 3 inches long toward the center (A kitchen shears or sharp knife works well).
- Repeat on the other long side.
- Starting at one end, fold strips at an angle across filling, alternating sides, tucking ends under next strip.
- Pinch ends to seal.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise for 15-20 minutes.
- Brush with the egg.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm with Dijon mustard.