1/1 Photo of Ham and Red-Eye Gravy
An old southern classic from Southern Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the ham in a shallow container; pour milk over ham.
- 2Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- 3Remove ham from milk.
- 4Cut slashes in fat to keep from curling.
- 5Cook 1 slice of ham in 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy (cast-iron, preferably) skillet over low heat until light brown, turning once.
- 6Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- 7Drain off pan drippings and reserve for gravy.
- 8Repeat procedure with remaining oil and ham.
- 9Add reserved pan drippings, coffee, and pepper to skillet; bring to a boil and stir constantly.
- 10Lower heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- 11Serve gravy with ham and hot biscuits.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Red-Eye Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.3
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 114.8 mg
- Sodium 2924.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 47.4 g