An old southern classic from Southern Living.
Make and share this Ham and Red-Eye Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- Put the ham in a shallow container; pour milk over ham.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- Remove ham from milk.
- Cut slashes in fat to keep from curling.
- Cook 1 slice of ham in 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy (cast-iron, preferably) skillet over low heat until light brown, turning once.
- Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Drain off pan drippings and reserve for gravy.
- Repeat procedure with remaining oil and ham.
- Add reserved pan drippings, coffee, and pepper to skillet; bring to a boil and stir constantly.
- Lower heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Serve gravy with ham and hot biscuits.
This was very good. Served with Mile High Biscuits and a salad on the side with Clone Krafts Catalina Dressing. Thanks for sharing!
Outstanding..found it to have same taste as our favorite resturant in Little Rock Ark. The milk does take away some of the salt..Thank you NurseDi