2 hrs 30 mins
A tossed green salad with vinaigrette and you've got a great meal. This is also a good brunch dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces and slightly softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups peeled seeded and chopped fresh tomatoes, preferably plum (about 2 lbs,drained of water)
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 (5 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained,patted dry and halved
- 2 eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2-2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1For pastry: Bring large amount of water to rapid boil.
- 2Add potatoes and cook until very tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3Drain well.
- 4While still hot, transfer potatoes to food mill set over large bowl and puree, do not use processor or potatoes will be gummy.
- 5Reserve ½ cup puree for filling; let remainder cool.
- 6Add flour, butter and salt to cooled puree.
- 7Using pastry blender, cut mixture into pieces until mixture forms a ball.
- 8Turn out onto generously floured surface.
- 9Knead twice.
- 10Pat or lightly roll out dough into 12 inch circle, turning dough in flour occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 11Carefully transfer dough to 9 inch springform pan.
- 12Gently pat dough into bottom and 1 ¾ inch up sides of pan.
- 13Cover surface of pastry with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to add filling.
- 14For filling: Heat oil in large skillet over high heat.
- 15Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened, 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 16Blend in tomatoes and wine.
- 17Reduce heat and simmer gently until all liquid has evaporated, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 18Let cool.
- 19Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 20Mix ham, 1 cup cheese, artichokes, eggs, egg yolk, basil, salt and pepper and reserved potato puree in bowl.
- 21Blend in tomato sauce.
- 22Pour into pastry shell.
- 23Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- 24Set on baking sheet.
- 25Bake until filling is set and crust is golden-brown, about 55 minutes.
- 26Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Potato Torte
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.4
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 168.1 mg
- Sodium 760.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 21.0 g