Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
This is so good on a cold day. We usually serve it with fresh crusty bread and butter. One of my favorite comfort foods.
Top Review by DeniseBC
This was very good and perfect for a gray, cold winters day. I made it as directed with a cook time of 6 hours; be sure to use country ham because the saltiness of it flavors the soup. I may try next time to use something lighter than heavy cream, but it was delicious as written, just not light! Thanks Sandy for sharing!!
- 2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1 inch slices
- 1 lb country ham, diced
- 3⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- chopped green onion, for garnish